Nov. 29--Trout season at the Dolese Youth Park Pond, 5105 NW 50, opens Tuesday.
Fisheries management staff from the Oklahoma City Parks and Recreation Department will stock the first batch of rainbow trout Tuesday morning in the pond.
Appoximately 5,300 rainbow trout will be put in the pond over the course of the 13-week season.
The fish will average 3/4-pound in weight, and 90 percent of the fish will be 9 to 14 inches long. The remaining 10 percent will be trophy fish, approaching 24 inches in length, said Bob Martin, the city's fisheries biologist.
After the initial stocking Dec. 1, fish will be stocked every two weeks.
Anglers ages 16 to 62 must have a state fishing license and a city fishing permit. City fishing permits cost $3.50 for a daily permit and $18.50 for an annual permit.
During trout season, only one rod and reel per angler is allowed. The daily catch limit is six trout, and fishing is allowed from the bank only.
Anglers must have their fish on an individual stringer with their name and state fishing license number attached. Fish can be culled or released at catching but cannot be released if held on a stringer for any length of time.
The city will host a free family trout fishing clinic at 7 p.m. Jan. 8 at the Putnam City High School Gymnasium, 5300 NW 50.
Anglers can learn about the best bait and fishing lures to catch trout and learn angler ethics, knot tying, casting and other fishing skills.
For more information about trout season or the fisheries program, call the H.B. Parsons Fish Hatchery at 297-1426 or go to www.okc.gov/parks.
Trout fishing runs through Feb. 29 at the pond.
DEEP FORK RETRIEVERS TO HOLD CLINIC AT CABELA'S
John Amico of Deep Fork Retrievers in Choctaw will holding a development clinic for retrievers Dec. 6 at Cabela's in Oklahoma City.
Amico will be demonstrating training techniques to help turn puppies into duck hunting retrievers. The free seminar begins at 2 p.m.
For more information, call Deep Fork Retrievers at 769-4108.
TROUT CLUB CHAPTERS WILL HOST CLEAN-UP DAY ON LOWER ILLINOIS RIVER
The 89er Chapter of Trout Unlimited will hold its annual clean-up on the Lower Illinois River on Saturday.
Volunteers are welcome. The club will be joined by the Trout Unlimited Chapter from Tulsa. The clean-up will begin at 9 a.m. at the Lake Tenkiller dam parking lot, about 8 miles north of Gore.
Volunteers will be served a free chili lunch. For more information, call Greg Mann at 401-3784 or contact him at email@example.com.
TRAPPING SEASON OPENS TUESDAY
Oklahoma's furbearing and trapping season for bobcats, raccoon, gray fox, red fox, badger, mink, muskrat, opossum, weasel and river otter opens Tuesday and runs through Feb. 28.
New regulations this season requires that all traps on public land must bear the name of the owner of the traps, and that signs must be posted at the entrance of public roads and highways informing the public of the traps.
NEW STATE RECORDS FOR ELK, BLACK BEAR ESTABLISHED
The Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation has certified new state records for elk and black bear.
The elk taken on a private land hunt near the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge 15 years ago by Joe Kysela of Oklahoma City is now the new state record elk. The elk scored 310 1/8.
The black bear that now holds the state record scored 20 15/16. It was killed by Jeremy DeFrange of McAlester on Oct. 7, 2012, in Latimer County.
The Wildlife Department established the Cy Curtis Awards Program in 1972 to recognize trophy game hunters in Oklahoma.
Initially, the program recognized only trophy white-tailed deer and mule deer. But in 2014, the Cy Curtis Awards Program was expanded to include elk, pronghorn antelope and black bears that exceed the minimum qualifying scores.
Elk, antelope and black bear taken in Oklahoma before 2014 are eligible for the Cy Curtis award.
(c)2015 The Oklahoman
Visit The Oklahoman at www.newsok.com
Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.
© Tribune Content Agency, source Regional News