JACKSON, Mich., Feb. 21, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- Consumers Energy is encouraging eligible Michigan residents to file for the Michigan Home Heating Credit to help with energy costs this winter.
"Especially in historically cold winters like this one, we want people to know that help is available today," said Whitney Skeans, Consumers Energy's customer assistance manager. "Tax season offers an ideal opportunity to file for home heating credits that can put money into the pockets of many people who need it most in our state."
Consumers Energy, its charitable foundation and Michigan nonprofit organizations have worked to provide access to assistance for heating bills this winter. Consumers Energy recently donated $10 million to six organizations in Michigan to help vulnerable residents pay their energy bills.
The Consumers Energy Foundation also supports free tax preparation services through Michigan 2-1-1 and the Community Economic Development Association of Michigan (CEDAM). Learn more and find free preparation services in your community at www.michiganfreetaxhelp.org.
The average Home Heating Credit that Consumers Energy customers received for the 2016 tax year was $171. The credit:
- Is the only heating assistance that does not require applicants to fall behind on paying their energy bill.
- Can be used for all types of primary heating fuels, including natural gas, electricity, propane and other deliverable fuels such as oil and purchased firewood.
- Bases credit amounts on household income and size.
- Is available to households whose income does not require them to file traditional income taxes.
- May be available to renters who pay their own heating bills.
- Can be submitted beyond tax season since it has a Sept 30, 2018, filing deadline.
Customers can find their 2017 total heat cost on December, January and February Consumers Energy billing statements, or by calling Consumers Energy at 800-477-5050. This information is required to complete the form.
The federal Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) is another benefit for working people with low to moderate income. For income guidelines, contact your employer, call the Internal Revenue Service at (800) 829-3676, or visit www.irs.gov.
Consumers Energy, Michigan's largest energy provider, is the principal subsidiary of CMS Energy (NYSE: CMS), providing natural gas and/or electricity to 6.7 million of the state's 10 million residents in all 68 Lower Peninsula counties.
For more information about Consumers Energy, go to www.ConsumersEnergy.com.
WHERE TO GET A HOME HEATING CREDIT FORM (MI-1040CR-7):
FOR MORE INFORMATION CALL:
- 2-1-1 for free tax preparation services nearest you
- Michigan Department of Treasury, 517-636-4486
- Internal Revenue Service, 800-829-3676
FOR IMMEDIATE ASSISTANCE: Apply to the State Emergency Relief Program, in which you may receive up to $1,700 in energy assistance for those that qualify. Apply online at www.Michigan.gov/mibridges or contact your local DHHS office.
Check out Consumers Energy on Social Media
View original content with multimedia:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/consumers-energy-encourages-eligible-michigan-households-to-apply-for-state-home-heating-credit-300601587.html
SOURCE Consumers Energy