May 22--A man in Jacksonville said he ordered a Coke at a McDonald's on Thursday morning that contained a bleach pod.
Lee Graves told WJXT that when he first got his drink it was the wrong size, and when a worker handed him a second drink "he noticed something was wrong."
>>'Glass flew everywhere': Woman, 81, smashes into McDonald's near Boynton
"As I'm leaving the parking lot the Coke just starts to explode everywhere. It erupted like a darn volcano that's a science experiment that a kid would do," Graves said to WJXT. "I take a couple of gulps to stop it from foaming. My initial impression was that it tasted like chlorine."
Once Graves lifted off the lid he said he saw a clump of "blue goo" floating at the top, according to WJXT. About an hour later he poured the rest of the soda out and found a tablet the shape of a square that looked like a detergent pod.
He then went to the hospital where doctors treated him for bleach and chlorine poisoning.
"The whole day my stomach was starting to be in a little bit of a knot," he said to WJXT. "I was feeling a little bit nauseous and decided I needed to go get checked out."
Graves then filed a report with the local sheriff's office and detectives spoke with the business manager-- who told them they use cleaning pods but only for the Frappuccino machine.
The McDonald's employee who gave Grave his drink told detectives that she did not put anything in it.
>>McDonald's employee in Florida slaps customer
McDonald's released a statement from the local franchise owner that said: '"Serving my customers safe, high-quality food and beverages is a top priority for me. We take this claim very seriously and are investigating the matter."
Grave posted about his incident to Facebook, where it has already received more than 34,000 shares.
The Florida Division of Hotels and Restaurants said it is also looking into the case, WJXT reports.
(c)2018 The Palm Beach Post (West Palm Beach, Fla.)
Visit The Palm Beach Post (West Palm Beach, Fla.) at www.palmbeachpost.com
Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.
© Tribune Content Agency, source Regional News