Notice Type: Justification and Approval
Posted Date: 11-JAN-18
Office Address: Department of the Army; U.S. Army Medical Research Acquisition Activity; Attn: MCMR-AAA820 Chandler Street Frederick, MD 21702-5014 MD 21702-5014
Subject: RedHat Sotware and Support
Classification Code: D - Information technology services, including telecommunications services
Contact: Wanda D. King, Contract Specialist, Phone 3016192376, Email [email protected] 6.302-1(c)
Description: Department of the Army
U.S. Army Medical Research Acquisition Activity
U.S. Army Medical Research Acquisition Activity
ConLimited Source Justification for Other Than Full and Open Competition 1. Contracting Activity: The U.S. Army Medical Research Acquisition Activity (USAMRAA) on behalf of U.S. Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases (USAMRIID).
2. Nature or Description of Action: This acquisition is conducted under the authority of the Multiple Award Schedule Program (Title III of the Federal Property and Administrative Services Act of 1949 (41 U.S.C. 251, et seq.) and Title 40 U.S.C. 501, Services for Executive Agencies). This is a limited source action to be awarded for a new firm-fixed priced Call Order against one of the DoD ESI BPA's that are written against Federal Supply Schedule (FSS) Contracts Funding used for this effort is FY18 Army Research and Development Testing and Evaluation - 2 Year Funds. The government is purchasing Renewal - Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Virtual Datacenters Standard approved on a new award, which was previously procured through DOD ESI. Approval is being requested for a new firm-fixed price contract, Brand Name Only for the purchase of Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Virtual Datacenters software Licenses and maintenance support. This brand name product is required to support a mission essential library application - BLMS (Biodefense Laboratory Management System).
3. Description of Supplies/Services U. S. Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases (USAMRIID) has a requirement for a Red Hat software license contract renewal for technical support and software patching for the Red Hat Enterprise Linux operating system. This operating system is used for multiple servers across 8 virtual server hosts and one standard workstation, so quantities of 16 subscriptions are required of the contract renewal. The estimated total amount for this requirement is for a one year Period of Performance estimated to start on 10 January 2018 through 09 January 2019.
4. Authority Cited and Supporting Rationale: This acquisition is conducted under the authority of the Multiple Award Schedule Program (See 8.405-6(c) using the limiting source authority at (see 8.405-6(a)(1)(i) and (b)(1) and, if applicable, a demonstration of the proposed contractor's unique qualifications to provide the required supply or service. (Both authorities must be cited in the LSJ). This acquisition is being competed as a Brand Name Only Requirement for Red Hat Enterprise Linux products in accordance with FAR Part 8.405-6(b)(1); item peculiar to one manufacturer. Redhat Enterprise Carahsoft Linux Server software support is needed to allow the Army to download software updates that enable Biodefense Laboratory Management System 2 (BLMS2) applications to meet security update requirements for Information Assurance Vulnerability Alert (IAVA). The software updates are also required for the Army to maintain the Authority to Operate for BLMS2. Updating the current RedHat Operating System to a different Operating System will require all current BLMS2 applications to be modified to run on new operating system. All BLMS2 systems will be required to go through extensive system and integration testing. It would take 6 to 12 months to re-certify the systems as well as the software purchase costs and manpower required to accomplish this task. Redhat software is an alternative operating system for desktop and servers that is more robust and securable than the Windows Operating system (OS). Red Hat is currently the only readily available alternate non-Microsoft operating system that is available commercially off-the-shelf. To ensure continued uninterrupted
operation, compatibility and standardization with the existing enterprise, we request the renewal of the Red Hat software is procured as identified. Introducing software that is not part of the current accredited solution could create severe compatibility issues, comprise data and, potentially violate the authority to operate, forcing a shut-down of the affected servers at USAMRIID. Redhat brand software is available under the approved list of software on the DOD ESI website under the Army CHESS Program.
5. A determination by the ordering activity contracting officer that the pricing is fair and reasonable. A determination that the pricing is fair and reasonable will be made by the ordering activity contracting officer that the order represents the best value consistent with FAR 8.404(d) which directs contracting to use the methods described in 15.404- 1(b)(2)(i- vi). The Contracting Officer will compare pricing from quotes received in response to solicitation, the price list from the approved DOD ESI agreement, previous invoices, and/or previous awards in accordance with FAR Part 15.404-1(b)92)(i-vi) to determine the pricing is reasonable.
6. A description of the market research conducted among the schedule holders and the results or a statement of the reasons market research was not conducted. USAMRIID and USAMRAA Personnel conducted market research between August 2017 through December 2017 to determine if there were any other companies within the market place that could provide similar products that would meet the Government's requirement. The Government surveyed the Internet of the SUSE Linux Enterprise (SLE) and Cent Operating Systems (OS). The Government evaluated The SUSE Linux Enterprise (SLE) and CentOS products and found they did not meet the Governments requirement since they do not hold Certificate of Net worthiness or have approved DISA Security Technical Implementation Guidelines (STIGS). Both of these standards are required by USAMRIID to be able to use the products on their network and research studies. Redhat products at this time that can handle the large amount of information provided by the research conducted by USAMRIID and is appropriately certified and approved. There are two (2) resellers of the Redhat products located on the required DOD ESI website that this requirement can be competed against DTL Solutions and Carahsoft Technology Inc. and both are other than small businesses.
7. Any other facts supporting the justification.
Without up-to-date security updates measures, system may be removed from the network or system will be vulnerable to information warfare attack.
8. A statement of the actions, if any, the agency took to remove or overcome any barriers that led to the restricted consideration before any subsequent acquisition for the supplies or services is made. The Government reviewed the approved providers of the required Redhat Software on the DoD ESI Contracts to locate any competition available on the mandatory DoD ESI Site for software procurements. Prior to any future requirements for Redhat, USAMRIID personnel continue to conduct market research to locate any other companies within the market place that can provide similar software that can meet the Government needs and is appropriately certified/approved to be used by USAMRIID via the Army CHESS Program/DoD ESI. This is a renewal of license, Contract # HC1028-14-A-0002-B309.
9. If this is an order or renewal BPA with a previous LSJ, attach a copy of the previous approved LSJ. N/A - using the DoD ESI as required.
10. The ordering activity KO's certification that the justification is accurate and complete to the best of the KO's knowledge and belief.
11. Evidence that any supporting data that is the responsibility of technical or requirements personnel (e.g., verifying the Government's minimum needs or requirements or other rationale for limited sources) and which form a basis for the justification have been certified as complete and accurate by the technical or requirements personnel.
12. For justifications under 8.405-6(a) (1), a written determination by the approving official identifying the circumstance that applies.
13. Technical Representative As the technical representative, the basis for the Limited Source Justification is hereby certified as complete and accurate to the best of my knowledge and belief. Typed Name:
14. Requirements Representative As the requirements representative, the basis for the Limited Source Justification is hereby certified as complete and accurate to the best of my knowledge and belief. Typed Name: DSN: Title: Date:
15. Fair and Reasonable Price Determination (per Deviation 2014-O0011 Published and Effective March 13, 2014 in lieu of FAR 8.404(d). As the ordering activity contracting officer, I hereby determine that the anticipated price to the Government for this contract action will be fair and reasonable.
Typed Name: Title: trol No. JA 18-55
Copyright (c) 2018 Federal Information & News Dispatch, Inc., source Federal Documents