The Public Service Commission will decide by Thanksgiving on whether to approve the Keystone XL pipeline. Please contact Mary Ridder, the PSC member representing North Platte, and tell her to vote NO on KXL because it does not serve Nebraska's interests for the following reasons:
1. It will not increase U.S. energy independence. Most of the tar sands oil will be refined for export by Motiva, a Saudi Arabian company that is one of the primary customers for KXL crude.
2. It won't use U.S. steel. The majority of KXL steel comes from Welspun, an Indian company that has been sued for defective steel by pipeline companies.
3. It's already a dinosaur. Investors have been pulling out of the KXL project, and TransCanada is unlikely to find U.S. customers interested in long-term shipping contracts.
4. It violates personal property rights by granting eminent domain to a foreign corporation for private (not public) profit.
5. It threatens the continued economic viability of agricultural land due to the 91 significant leaks predicted by a UNL professor that will occur, polluting our precious aquifer.
6. It will not create jobs for Nebraskans. TransCanada admits it prefers to import workers from Oklahoma and Kansas rather than hiring locals to construct the pipeline.
In short, the banks don't like it, the people don't want it, and the country doesn't need it.
To reach Ridder at the PSC and tell her to vote no on KXL, call 800-526-0017 or use the form atpsc.nebraska.gov
© Copyright © 2017 North Platte Telegraph. All rights reserved., source Newspapers