* The Toronto Stock Exchange's S&P/TSX fell 131.40 points, or 0.79 percent, to 16,417.32.
* The biggest contributor to the TSX loss was Canadian Natural Resources Ltd with 9.1 net index points. Materials was the top sector contributor with 51.6 net points, while energy dragged by 33.6 net points.
* Leading the index were ECN Capital Corp , up 2.7 percent, Restaurant Brands International Inc , up 2.5 percent, and Maple Leaf Foods Inc , higher by 2.4 percent.
* Lagging shares were First Quantum Minerals Ltd , down 7.1 percent, Hudbay Minerals Inc, down 5.6 percent, and Yamana Gold Inc, lower by 5.2 percent.
* On the TSX, 65 issues advanced and 178 declined as a 0.4-to-1 ratio favored decliners. There were 7 new highs and 2 new lows, with total volume of 222.5 million shares.
* The most heavily traded shares by volume were Bombardier Inc , Altagas Ltd and First Quantum Minerals Ltd.
* West Texas Intermediate crude futures fell 4.93 percent, or $3.65, to $70.46 a barrel. Brent crude fell 6.16 percent, or $4.86, to $74 [O/R]
* The TSX is up 1.3 percent for the year.
(Reporting by Lewis Krauskopf)