* The biggest contributor to the TSX gain was Canadian National Railway with 13.3 net index points. The industrials sector was the top contributor with 9.8 net points.
* Leading the index were CES Energy Solutions Corp , up 6.0 percent, First Quantum Minerals Ltd , up 5 percent, and West Fraser Timber Co Ltd , higher by 4.8 percent.
* Lagging shares were Linamar Corp , down 5.9 percent, Prometic Life Sciences Inc, down 5.3 percent, and Aurora Cannabis Inc, lower by 4.2 percent.
* On the TSX 119 issues advanced and 124 declined as a 1-to-1 ratio favored decliners. There were 13 new highs and 5 new lows, with total volume of 196.7 million shares.
* The most heavily traded shares by volume were Aurora Cannabis Inc , Baytex Energy Corp and Aphria Inc.
* The TSX's energy group rose 0.53 points, or 0.26 percent, while the financials sector climbed 0.47 points, or 0.15 percent.
* Brent crude rose 1.03 percent, or $0.81, to $79.24 [O/R]
* The TSX is off 0.6 percent for the year.
(Reporting by Caroline Valetkevitch)