YB DATUK SERI MAH SIEW KEONG
MINISTER OF PLANTATION INDUSTRIES AND COMMODITIES VISITS DOSHIN RUBBER PRODUCTS (M) SDN BHD
MALAYSIA MOVING TOWARDS HIGH-VALUE ENGINEERING RUBBER PRODUCTS
20 FEBRUARY 2017
1. Today, YB. Datuk Seri Mah Siew Keong, Minister of Plantation Industries and Commodities, visited Doshin Rubber Products (M) Sdn. Bhd., a Malaysian-owned rubber manufacturing company, which is one of the largest manufacturers of engineering rubber products. Doshin not only manufactures products utilised in infrastructure projects such as marine dock fenders, expansion joint systems, structural bearings, and mining-related products, but is also a major player in earthquake protection and vibration insulation industry.
2. The objective of YB. Datuk Seri Mah's visit to Doshin Rubber is to get better insights into high-value engineering rubber products manufactured and exported by Malaysia and the export potential of these products in global markets.
3. Malaysian manufacturers have installed and supplied rubber seismic bearings to other high-seismic activity countries such as New Zealand, Iran, Portugal, Indonesia, Turkey and China. Importantly, Malaysian manufacturers of engineering rubber products are certified to international standards such as ISO 9001:2015 and ISO 22762 for elastomeric seismic protection isolators and tested by laboratories with ISO/IEC 17025 certification.
4. High-Damping Rubber Bearings (HDRB) are devices which contain layers of specialised intelligent rubber compound and reinforced steel plates. Buildings and bridges equipped with HDRB technology are able to withstand the impact of an earthquake better by deflecting off earthquake vibration forces.
5. In Malaysia, High-Damping Rubber Bearings were installed in the 2nd Penang Bridge, the longest bridge in the world to be mounted with over 2,000 pieces of HDRB. In Indonesia, Doshin's patented Ultra-High Damping Rubber Bearing System is used in isolating a university hospital and the Wika Tower. This marks the first time such a system is used in the world which utilises natural rubber compound with ultra-high damping ratio without the help of other expensive devices to achieve the same satisfactory performance.
6. We recognise the importance of protecting buildings and bridges especially in earthquake-prone countries.The ten most earthquake-prone countries include Japan, Nepal, Philippines, Pakistan, El Salvador, Mexico, India and Turkey. The impact of earthquakes is devastating with lives lost and damage to property, The cost of rebuilding can reach billions of dollars.
7. Of the many designs of base-isolation systems that are available today, High-Damping Natural Rubber Bearings (HDNRB) offer the simplest and most cost-effective method of isolation to avert and minimise losses due to earthquakes. HDNRB also require less maintenance. Recognising the potential demand of these products to save lifes and avert high economic damage in the event of an earthquake, the Malaysian Rubber Export Promotion Council (MREPC), has been undertaking intensive marketing efforts in several earthquake-prone countries such as China, Turkey, Chile, Peru and Myanmar to promote the adoption of HDRB in buildings and bridges.
8. In 2017, MREPC together with industry members, will be promoting HDRB in Indonesia by conducting seminars on the product in Jakarta and Medan, Indonesia. Meetings with the relevant authorities and engineering organisations will also be held to promote the use of HDRB in infrastructure projects. MREPC has also identified several high-seismic activity countries such as New Zealand and the Philippines to promote HDRB.
9. Malaysia's export of structural bearings rose by 36.2% to RM14.14 million in 2016 from RM10.38 million in 2015. Structural bearings, categorised as technical products in the general and industrial rubber goods sector, have shown significant improvement in terms of export in recent years. In 2016, total exports of rubber products in the general and industrial rubber goods sector increased by 4.9% to RM1.92 billion, from RM1.83 billion in 2015. Malaysia's ability in producing high-value engineering rubber products used in the field of vibration and earthquake engineering, is the result of collaborative efforts between the Malaysian Rubber Board and the rubber product industry.
10. Over the next few years, Doshin will focus on specific products such as the Ultra High-Damping Rubber Bearing and advanced vibration insulation system for high-speed rail. In fact, High-Damping Rubber Bearings (HDRB) produced by Doshin Rubber for the protection of buildings and earthquakes have been installed in buildings and bridges in Malaysia and abroad. Doshin Rubber has also invested in installing highly sophisticated testing equipment which are fabricated to withstand compression force of 5,000 tons and shear displacement of 1,000 mm. The equipment is deemed to be the largest in Asia.
YB DATUK SERI MAH SIEW KEONG
MINISTER OF PLANTATION INDUSTRIES AND COMMODITIES
20 FEBRUARY 2017