ZURICH--ABB Ltd (ABBN.VX) Monday said it won an order worth $35 million from the Baltic Shipyard Ltd. to supply powerful propulsion and energy efficient electrical systems for a new icebreaker vessel under construction for Russia's state shipping company Rosmorport.
- The order was booked in the third quarter of 2012.
- The 25 megawatt line diesel-electric icebreaker is the next-generation multifunctional diesel-electric icebreaker.
- The navigation area of the icebreaker is the Northern Sea Route, the Arctic seas and estuaries of rivers discharging into the Arctic Ocean.
- The icebreaker is able to proceed continuously both ahead and astern at the speed of 2 knots in compact ice field up to 2 metres thick with 20cm of snow cover and temperatures as low as minus 35 degrees Celsius.
- Considerable gains in energy efficiency can be achieved using an Azipod® propulsion system, with up to 20 percent fuel reduction.
- The delivery schedule is due to start in 2013 and the vessel will be delivered to Rosmorport in 2015.
-Zurich Bureau, Dow Jones Newswires, +41 43 443 80 47; firstname.lastname@example.org
Subscribe to WSJ: http://online.wsj.com?mod=djnwires