Axa is the European leading insurance group. Net sales break down by activity as follows:
- life insurance (60.6%): sale of savings policies, retirement accounts, estate planning services, and health insurance to individuals and companies. Net sales break down by country as follows: France (25%), the United States (20.4%), Japan (12.2%), Germany (12.1%), Switzerland (11.9%), Latin America (8.8%), Belgium (3.8%), the United Kingdom (1.2%) and other (4.6%);
- damage insurance (31.4%): mainly car insurance, home insurance, property damage and civil liability. Net sales break down geographically between France (20.1%), Latin America (24.9%), the United Kingdom and Ireland (14.5%), Germany (13.4%), Switzerland (9.6%), Belgium (7.6%) and other (10.2%);
- asset management (4%): EUR1,115.8 billion of assets managed at the end of 2012, including 39.5% for third parties;
- international insurance (3.5%): mainly major risk insurance (65.8% of net sales) and assistance services (33.2%; medical assistance for travelers, breakdown service for vehicles, etc.);
- other (0.5%): mainly banking activities in France, Belgium and Germany.