Sanoma is the leading Scandinavian media group and is 5th in Europe, with operations in 20 European countries.
The group is structured in five divisions:
- Sanoma magazines (40.8%): publication de 309 titles in 13 countries (Belgium, Croatia, Czech Republic, Finland, Hungary, Netherlands, Romania, Slovakia, et Sweden) for a total of 429 378 copies sold in 2007;
- Rautakirja (28%): kiosks, bookstores, activities in the arts (theaters, cinemas), and restaurants (Pizza Hut);
- Sanoma (15.8%): leader in Finland for newspaper distribution (Helsingin Sanomat, with more than 1 million readers per day, and Ilta-Sanomat);
- WSOY (10.6%): No. 1 Finnish editor of literary and educational works and other publications. In fiscal year 2007, 829 new publications (520 books and 309 electronic products) and 1379 re-editions were published;
- Swelcom (4.8%). Electronic media (television, CD, video and audio): cable television (319,000 homes), premium channels (86,000 subscriptions), and 99,000 Internet connections.